Experiencing Lean at Xylem Design
Join us on a lean tour
We visit Xylem Design—a 25-30 person wood shop in Colorado that has been practicing 2 Second Lean and elements of the Toyota Production System for over five years.
Experience Xylem’s unique culture, observe their daily routines, hear from employee and management interviews, and much more!
Included in this Course
Deliver Training on Your Terms
Section 1: Introduction
- 75 minute webinar replay
- Some slides, but LOTS of HD video
- Emloyee interviews, gemba walk, lean artifacts, and more.
- 35 minutes of live Q&A with CEO Greg Glebe.
- See Xylem’s half-sheet “playbook” containing a snapshot of their company culture and lean practices.
- This is an incredible distillation of Patrick Lencioni’s “organizational health” teachings along with TPS and 2 Second Lean thinking.
Section 2: Employee Interviews
Brain (1 month)
- We interview Brian about his experience as a new hire at Xylem for 1 month.
Antonio (2 years)
- We interview Antonio about his 2 years working at Xylem Design.
Rob (4 years)
- We interview Rob about his 4 years working at Xylem Design.
Stephen (5 years)
- We interview Stephen about his 5 years working at Xylem Design.
Patrick (7 years)
- We interview Patrick about his 7 years working at Xylem Design.
Tony (7 years) and Brad (11 years)
- We interview Tony and Brad about their 18 years of combined experience working at Xylem Design.
Greg Glebe (CEO) and Seth Braverman (COO)
- We interview Greg and Seth about how they got started doing lean, their successes, their challenges, and their recommendations to others.
Section 3: Lean Management System
Pre Production Meeting
- Observe Xylem’s pre-production standup meeting where work is assigned and the day is planned.
Morning 5S Period
- Follow us along as we observe Xylem’s morning 3S/5S improvement period.
- Witness sort, shine, and standardize in action.
- Witness kaizen or “2 second lean” improvements taking place.
Morning Gemba Walk
- Follow Greg Glebe (CEO) as he performs a gemba walk on the production floor and follows up on a recent production problem.
- Witness the use of Xylem’s “Gemba Board” to promote daily problem-solving and management involvement.
- Watch the team solve an internal quality problem.
The Daily Meeting
- Observe Xylem’s “daily meeting” inspired by 2 Second Lean where all employees huddle together to connect, coordinate, and learn.
Section 4: Lean Tools and Methods
- Survey lean artifacts at Xylem Design… work cell organization and layout, 5S practices, labeling, training matrices, andon lights, scheduling systems, and more.
- See and overview of Xylem’s kanban card system for materials, and a modified system used at the CNC machine for router bits.
The Lean Bathroom
- Explore the contents of the Xylem bathroom in the spirit of 2 Second Lean!
Join the Lean Smarts Academy
Access all our courses with your subscription to the Lean Smarts Academy.